Advancing Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice through Human Systems Engineering highlights how scholars and practitioners of HSE (inclusively defined to span many fields) can apply their theories and methods to understand and support healthy communities, include and empower diverse populations, and inspire strategies for a more inclusive future. This volume brings together experts from human factors, ergonomics, psychology, human-computer interaction, and more to demonstrate how these fields can be applied to societal challenges and solutions. Through a blend of research reports, literature reviews, and personal narratives, this volume explores these issues from the individual to the global scale, across diverse populations, and across multiple continents.
- Draws upon human factors and ergonomics theories and methods to evaluate, understand, and confront systemic threats to inclusion and social justice
- Offers actionable methodologies, strategies, and recommendations for conducting human-centered research, design, and training with marginalized or vulnerable populations
- Offers a venue for reporting and reconsidering the work of human factors and ergonomics from the perspectives of diversity, inclusion, and social justice
List price: $149.95
The polygraph, often portrayed as a magic mind-reading machine, is still controversial among experts, who continue heated debates about its validity as a lie-detecting device. As the nation takes a fresh look at ways to enhance its security, can the polygraph be considered a useful tool?
The Polygraph and Lie Detection puts the polygraph itself to the test, reviewing and analyzing data about its use in criminal investigation, employment screening, and counter-intelligence.
The book looks at:
- The theory of how the polygraph works and evidence about how deceptivenessâ€”and other psychological conditionsâ€”affect the physiological responses that the polygraph measures.
- Empirical evidence on the performance of the polygraph and the success of subjectsâ€™ countermeasures.
- The actual use of the polygraph in the arena of national security, including its role in deterring threats to security.
The book addresses the difficulties of measuring polygraph accuracy, the usefulness of the technique for aiding interrogation and for deterrence, and includes potential alternativesâ€”such as voice-stress analysis and brain measurement techniques.
Table of Contents
- Front Matter
- Executive Summary
- 1 Lie Detection and the Polygraph
- 2 Validity and Its Measurement
- 3 The Scientific Basis for Polygraph Testing
- 4 Evidence from Polygraph Research: Qualitative Assessment
- 5 Evidence from Polygraph Research: Quantitative Assessment
- 6 Alternative Techniques and Technologies
- 7 Uses of Polygraph Tests
- 8 Conclusions and Recommendations
- Appendix A: Polygraph Questioning and Techniques
- Appendix B: Use of Polygraph Screening in the U.S. Department of Energy and Other Federal Agencies
- Appendix C: The Wen Ho Lee Case and the Polygraph
- Appendix D: Physiological Processes Measured by the Polygraph
- Appendix E: Historical Notes on the Modern Polygraph
- Appendix F: Computerized Scoring of Polygraph Data
- Appendix G: Process for Systematic Review of Polygraph Validation Studies
- Appendix H: Quantitative Assessment of Polygraph Test Accuracy
- Appendix I: False Positive Index Values for Polygraph Testing
- Appendix J: Decision Analysis of Polygraph Security Screening
- Appendix K: Combining Information Sources in Medical Diagnosis and Security Screening
- Appendix L: Biographical Sketches of Committee Members and Staff
List price: $49.95
When people and therapists alike have a problem they can’t fix, they call Richard Bandler because he delivers–often with miraculous results. Hailed as one of the greatest geniuses in the field of personal change, and the father of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, Richard Bandler has helped tens of thousands of people around the globe rid themselves of ‘incurable’ phobias, fears, anxieties, addictions, negative habits, and past traumas often in a single session.
Get the Life You Want is Richard Bandler at his best, sharing his remarkable insights, his controversial signature wit, and more than 35 time-tested NLP techniques that will bring about quick and lasting change in every area of your life, from breaking free of toxic or non-productive relationships, to delivering business presentations without a knot in your stomach, to quitting smoking for good.
List price: $24.95